Begin the next answer with the last letter of the previous answer.
01) Name: stgulik
02) Animal: kangaroo
03) Girl's name: Olono
04) Color: orange
05) Movie: Eight Days a Week
06) Something you wear: Keds
07) Drink: sidecar
08) Food: raisin bread
09) Item in the bathroom: deodorant
10) Place: Turlock
11) Reason to be late: killed a spider, chased by its children
Almost everyone I know has already played today. So if you want to play and you're reading this, consider yourself tagged!
The Playlist Poetry Meme
Put your music player on shuffle, and write down the first line of the first twenty songs. Post the poem that results. The first line of the twenty-first song is the title.
Didn’t I treat you right now?
Oh, I bet I know what you like
I’m sure that he could give you everything
So I wait my turn, I’m a modern man
Through the sleepless nights I cry for you
You push me
Help—I have done it again
Here we go again
You played the part of the one who was taken down by God
You think you’re so cool
So like your father in the face and blood
On a dark desert highway
You walk around in other towns
It’s a terrible love
I heard you calling me across the night sky
You left me here on your way to paradise
Billy was a train driving man
Dead red eyes
Three in the morning
Oh, there’s a fire where the city was
Stare at the sun
Three Things You Want To Do Before You Die:
1.) Make a queen-sized quilt, all by myself, start to finish, without throwing the whole thing in my stash pile and ignoring it for years
2.) Visit Hong Kong
3.) Write a novel
( Wait til you get to the pet names )
1. What kind of soap is in your bathtub right now?
In the shower, it's Dove, Dove, and Dove. We're brand-loyal.
2. Do you have any watermelon in your refrigerator?
Watermelon is the devil, so no.
( 3 through 61 ... )
That was fun. Who's next?
My dear candamira passed this meme onto me, so I will do my best to answer...
Five things that make me happy right now:
1) Coffee. Always and forever. The food police continually try to find reasons why coffee is destroying our collective health. But they never shall! They will always be defeated!
Passing the happiness baton on to bonsaibetz, teddyradiator and kittylefish
What I'm reading:
The Killing Moon, a Nebula-nominated fantasy fic by N.K. Jemisin. This is my sci-fi/fantasy book club's next pick, and so far I am digging it. I have a few weeks before our next meeting, so I have time to read as slowly as I want, enjoying the way this author can turn a phrase.
What I'm modding:
I've never modded a comm, and I wouldn't know the first thing about it. For those of you who have, what's the toughest thing?
What I'm thinking about:
Summer vacation with my husband's family, and how bad blood has really crept into our fun. In years past, we used to rent this one great big cabin and just pile in. But in the last few years, resentments have begun to creep into our relationships. They can be put aside for a while, but not forgotten. Meanwhile, the cabin has been sold and is not available to rent anymore. So my family and my SIL's family are trying to look for cheap digs. Other families will stay in other cabins. And then we will meet at the beach, designated neutral territory. Fun will be had, I guess, but that old easy informality is gone, and I'm sad about it.
What I'm creating:
Nothing right now. I see het_bigbang is gearing up for another summer run, which puts me in mind to write again with teddyradiator. We've procrastinated on our next project so much! Maybe what we need is a deadline...
What I'm watching:
Mostly Giants baseball! I keep up with a couple of network television shows: Elementary and The Flash. Elementary turned out to be surprisingly low-key and sophisticated. The Flash, I started out being very disdainful of, and later grew to like for the interweaving story lines.
Everyone should post their ten most CRUCIAL CRUCIAL CRUCIAL-ASS movies, like the movies that explain everything about yourselves in your current incarnations (not necessarily your ten favorite movies but the ten movies that you, as a person existing currently, feel would help people get to know you) (they can change later on obviously).
1. Star Wars (for the music)
2. Now and Then (for my childhood)
3. Indian Summer (for my "Big Chill" movie)
4. Postcards from the Edge (for my relationship with my mother)
5. Mr. Holland's Opus (for insight into my father)
6. The Seven Samurai (my kind of heroes)
7. You Can't Take It With You --and-- The Family Stone (because they embody my husband's family)
8. Wag the Dog (for how I view my career)
9. Enchanted April (for when I want to be myself)
10. Ocean's Eleven --and-- The Great Train Robbery (for the friendships I wish I were capable of, along with #9 of course)
You Are a Concrete Thinker
When it comes down to it, you're a practical person. You're only concerned with what works in life.
Also - Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!
If I were a month, I'd be November
If I were a day of the week, I'd be Thursday
If I were a time of day, I'd be teatime
If I were a planet, I'd be Neptune
If I were a direction, I'd be North-northwest
If I were a piece of furniture, I'd be a bookshelf
If I were a liquid, I'd be red wine
( More "me" )
I like it. I think Shakespeare would have invented a character named St. Gulik if I'd been around back then. In reality, I would have been his washerwoman or something, but a well-read one.
In other news, I've submitted prompts for this summer's sshg_promptfest. Have you? Deadline is tomorrow!
1. What time did you get up this morning? 5:30—the usual time for a work day. I dislike trying to sleep when the early risers in the family are banging around.
2. How do you like your steak? Medium rare.
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? The Avengers, I think, at the dollar cinema.
4. What are your favorite TV shows? at present or ever? The only new shows I watch are Downton Abbey and Project Runway. And Glee, but only to spend time with my daughter.
5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? California, dude. We have all the good climates rolled up in one state.
6. What did you have for breakfast? My everyday breakfast, without fail, is a cup of yogurt and a piece of toast.
7. What is your favorite cuisine? Vietnamese
8. What foods do you dislike? Eggplant, liver, lamb, any meat cooked with pineapple, maraschino cherries, white chocolate
9. Favorite Place to Eat? My little town is blessed with many Asian restaurants. It would be hard to choose just one as a favorite!
10. Favorite dressing? Italian varieties
11.What kind of vehicle do you drive? A long-suffering Toyota Camry
12. What are your favorite clothes? Levi jeans, black t-shirt and sandals
13. Where would you visit if you had the chance? Okay, this is going to sound weird, but lately I’ve been obsessed with Hong Kong. I’m reading book right now on the British occupation years.
14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full? Half full, despite my outward cynicism
15. Where would you want to retire? I’m having a hard time with this one, because I won’t be rich when I retire so I won’t be moving somewhere exotic. I’m focusing more on my situation than my location. Right, teddyradiator?
16. Favorite time of day? Late evening
17. Where were you born? LaPorte, Indiana
18. What is your favorite sport to watch? Baseball
19. Who do you think will not tag you back?
20. Person you expect to tag you back first?
21. Who are you most curious about their responses to this? Like kittylefish, I enjoy reading everyone's answers.
22. Bird watcher? Nah.
23. Are you a morning person or a night person? Night person. Alas, my office still expects to see me at 8:30 a.m. so they get what they deserve.
24. Do you have any pets? Two dogs of ill repute
25. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share? October was the exciting month, full of relatives visiting and so forth. This month is much less exciting, and I’m glad of it.
26. What did you want to be when you were little? Teacher, librarian, comic book artist, writer. Did I become any of those? No! Except writer, if you squint.
27. What is your best childhood memory? I was blessed with a happy childhood, so … there’s a montage of lovely Thanksgiving holidays full of noisy relatives that I count among my favorite memories.
28. Are you a cat or dog person? Dog person. I only like one cat in this world, and she’s spoken for.
29. Are you married? Yes—married my groom in 1988
30. Always wear your seat belt? Hell, yes. When I was six months pregnant, I was in a freeway accident. In the hospital, we found that I had one long bruise that stretched all the way across my shoulder, chest and stomach. The baby was perfectly fine. People who don’t wear seat belts are Darwin Award candidates.
31. Been in a car accident? A few fender-benders, plus #30 above.
32. Any pet peeves? Sure. Obviously, seat belt-denyers are one. Hmm. Who knew? Also fundamentalist Christians. Any god who trolls you as hard as Yahweh ought to be ignored until He goes away. Also the dishwasher. Honestly, people, how hard is it to arrange the dishes so they actually get washed?
33. Favorite Pizza Toppings? Artichokes
35. Favorite ice cream? (Wait – what happened to #34??) Baskin Robbins Gold Medal Ribbon. I dislike nuts in my ice cream but love carmel.
36. Favorite fast food restaurant? Chipotle. Veggie burrito. Wow.
37. How many times did you fail your driver's test? Once – maybe twice, I don’t remember.
38. From whom did you get your last email? In the mornings I get lots of newsletters.
39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? My weakness is Sharper Image.
40. Do anything spontaneous lately? Not lately, but I visited Apple Hill, a big local commercial farm, with my dad and brother just so we’d have something to talk about during an awkward afternoon visit. It turned out kind of goofy and fun, which was just what I’d hoped.
41. Like your job? All in all, I really do. But it’s a lonely job, and when I’m left alone with my thoughts for too long, trouble inevitably follows.
42. Broccoli? Oh, yes. Delicious. I can do all sorts of wonderful things with broccoli.
43. What was your favorite vacation? Years ago, my husband and I drove to Mendocino and stayed at a neat little place near the ocean. There was nothing to do but shag and watch the waves.
44. Last person you went out to dinner with? Our next-door neighbors
45. What are you listening to right now? No music – just the sound of my own ears hissing.
46. What is your favorite color? All sorts of blues and greens
47. How many tattoos do you have? None
48. How many are you tagging for this quiz?
49. Coffee Drinker? Yes – usually black; sometimes a mocha for sport
50. What time did you finish this quiz? 6:58 a.m.
1. I was born in the Midwest and moved with my parents to five different states before I was five. They have pics of me in my nightie, sitting in a VW bus full of furniture, but I don't remember any of it.
2. I have worn every single hairstyle it is possible to have, except maybe a B-52.
3. I ran away from home once, and made it all the way to the river before turning back. It seemed like a long way, but it was probably less than a mile.
4. I'm introverted, though not overwhelmingly so, and can give a passable impression of an extrovert for brief periods.
5. I hate eggplant. I mean get-this-stuff-off-my-table hate.
6. I'm terrified of water over my head. I hate aquariums. I can't even walk near the wall of fish tanks at the pet store without breaking into a cold sweat.
7. I finally learned to drive when I was 24 because my boyfriend was tired of doing all the driving on road trips. He taught me, and did it well, but I was quite irresponsible for years.
8. I held something like 10-odd jobs throughout college. The saddest was running a nursery for a holy roller church, because I knew those precious little toddlers would soon be brainwashed.
9. My first dog was a Maltese. It had been running around the neighborhood for weeks, a stray that would not let itself be captured. At last it came to the doorstep, filthy, tired and hungry. She lived 14 years. I still miss her.
10. I came to fanfic in my mid-40s. I only like Harry Potter fanfic, and I couldn't tell you why.
Am I done? Darn, I was just getting started!
Your Irish First Name is Flannán
You are a passionate person who is easily fired up. If you care at all, you care completely and deeply.
You are fiercely loyal to those in your life that matter most. You stick by your family, friends, and your country.
You are a good and devoted leader. If you are in charge of a group, you give it your all... no matter what.
You are not one to give up hope when times get tough. You can dig deep and stay motivated. Your passion drives you.
Flannán, the name of a 9th century king, is perfect for you. You have the makings of old school royalty.
Also, Flannán means 'red', which is a color that fits your depth and boldness perfectly. There is nothing subtle about you.
Hmm. I'm not passionate, I'm not a leader, I'm not unsubtle, I'm not bold and I'm not fiery. I never even wear red.
But what the hell - it's only for today, right? Happy St. Paddy's Day to you! May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty.